Friday, March 13, 2009

March 13, 2009

My very first entry! Yay!
Let me give a little history about my year so far. Back in September, if you had told me to run a mile, I would have laughed (hysterically). Tomorrow I will be running my first 5k and am signed up for a 1/2 marathon in April. How did I get from there to here? Well, I had put on a few pounds over the summer and when a bunch or coworkers decided to do a biggest loser contest, I thought why not? I can get these pounds off and possibly win a little money. I am very competitive (mostly with myself) and I did very well in the contest. I didn't win, but I did take off nearly 30 pounds! During the fall I started running a little. I ran (or rather jogged) my first mile in October and was ecstatic. I then bumped it up to 2 and 3 miles. My pace was only about 12 minutes per mile, but, hey - I was doing it!
In the middle of December I ran 5 miles for the first time on the treadmill and haven't felt such a sense of accopmlishment since I gave birth. It was quite an amazing feeling. I was enjoying running so much by this point that I decided to give it my all and train for the 1/2 marathon. Here's where the real test came - I had been a pack a day smoker for about 18 years and knew it had to go (for real this time!) On December 28th, I smoked my last cigarette and with some help from Nicotine patches and God on my side, I have been smoke free every since.
Last Saturday I ran 10.8 miles in 2:07 minutes.
So, needless to say, 2009 has been a life changing year for me thus far. I have found that my relationships are better, I am happier and healthier, and everything is just all around more joyful.
I am so excited for the 5k tomorrow that I can hardly stand it! It's in Morristown NJ and they are having a St. Patrick's Day celebration with a parade and all after the race. My son is running the 1 mile fun run first and we can't wait! The weather is supposed to be nice 50 degrees and sunny. Can't ask for much better than that. I know that I can run the race and am hoping to do it in about 32 minutes. I just hope that all of the excitement doesn't get the better of me. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I came that you may have and enjoy life and have it in abundance, until it overflows. - John 10:10